We have spent two years developing Lantern, but we still consider the version you see to be version 1.0 -- or, put another way, in "permanent beta." We look forward to enhancing and improving the platform and the underlying collections. Help us by letting us know how we can improve. You can e-mail us at mediahist (at) gmail (dot) com.
Immediate priorities for development include:
- Customized BookReader application featuring print and download buttons, "more like this" option, and tighter integration with the main Lantern interface.
- Improved advanced search form.
- Improved search highlighting within BookReader ("Read in Context" view).
- Resource for educators that share methods and examples of using the MHDL and Lantern in classroom contexts
- Fundraising to digitize an additional 3 million pages of material.
More long-term development goals include:
- Page-level and article-level metadata
- Cross-indexing with other historical resources and digital projects
Impact Stories, or Help Hoyt's Tenure Dossier!
Our Google Analytics account shows the quantity of users, but it doesn't tell us anything about how the MHDL materials are being used or how the MHDL and Lantern are making an impact.
If you have found these resources to be valuable in your life or work, please let us know. Specific examples of how the MHDL and Lantern have enabled new research or teaching possibilities are especially appreciated.
By sharing your impact story, you will also be helping Eric Hoyt's tenure dossier. It's unusual for a Humanities professor to spend time writing computer code and not just academic prose. Please help Eric so he can help his tenure committee understand why Lantern matters and why producing it was time well spent.
E-mail your impact stories to ehoyt (at) wisc (dot) edu. Thank you.
Want to stay up to date as the Media History Digital Library's collections continue to grow?