What shocked the censors! (1933)

Record Details:

Something wrong or inaccurate about this page? Let us Know!

Thanks for helping us continually improve the quality of the Lantern search engine for all of our users! We have millions of scanned pages, so user reports are incredibly helpful for us to identify places where we can improve and update the metadata.

Please describe the issue below, and click "Submit" to send your comments to our team! If you'd prefer, you can also send us an email to mhdl@commarts.wisc.edu with your comments.

We use Optical Character Recognition (OCR) during our scanning and processing workflow to make the content of each page searchable. You can view the automatically generated text below as well as copy and paste individual pieces of text to quote in your own work.

Text recognition is never 100% accurate. Many parts of the scanned page may not be reflected in the OCR text output, including: images, page layout, certain fonts or handwriting.

Deletions and rejections of the New York Department of Education, Division of Motion Pictures, for the fifteen month period beginning January 1, 1932 and ending March 31, 1933. Features Percentage Shorts Percentage Totals Percentages Number of films examined 903 1394 2297 Number of reels examined 6533 2036 8569 Number of films passed 555 61.5 1315 94.4 1870 85.6 Number of reels passed 5725 87.3 1945 96.5 7670 89.5 Number of films censored 335 35.9 78 5.6 413 18.0 Number of reels censored 711 10.9 90 3.5 801 9.4 Number of films rejected 13 2.6 1 14 0.6 Number of reels rejected 97 1.8 1 98 1.1 According to the above chart it appears that the censors in dealing with feature films — the main output of motion pictures — — pass 61.5% i — delete something from 35.9% < — reject 2.6% Since censorship seems to have almost no work to do with respect to so-called "shorts", we may omit summaries. The important summary fact to be kept in mind is that the censors either delete or reject 38.5% of all feature films submitted; in other words, more than one-third of all featured motion picture films are affected by the censors. Although we are not in position to furnish descriptions of the feature films which have been entirely rejected during this period, something of the character of each may be inferred from the titles. It should be mentioned that three of the films which the New York State censors rejected were latj: passed and given permission to exhibit.